Saturday, November 23, 2019

Montessori Inspired Sound Box!



Hey ya'll! I did it! I made a sound box. Yay!

No, not some kind of musical instrument. Athough, that would be pretty cool. Hmm... ideas.

Okay, if you don't know what a sound box is, then please bear with me. I will do my best to explain what it is. If you do know what it is, then skip past the next paragraph.

In the Montessori world there is something called a sound box. It's basically a container with little dividers. Our container has three spaces across and three spaces down. It was a blessing, but my brother gave us three of these empty containers he had no use for. I suppose that is where the iconic saying goes hand in hand:

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." - Hector Urquhart

Except, in my case, it was:

"One man's old trash is a woman's new treasure." - LDE Blog

Haha, okay, that was sort of awkward. 



What are we practicing?

We are practicing the sounds the letters "L", "S" and "M" make. I put the letters in the top space and items in the remaining two spaces. The items we used are pictured below.



I had to draw in some objects since I didn't have two for each letter. I decided to draw them on simple flash cards I already had on hand and fold them to fit the container.

How do we practice?

The sound box is normally displayed on a table. In our case, it's the dining room table.


 We do everything on that table such as eating, doing puzzles, making crafts, drawing, and some displays. My just turned six year old now goes to it, with my guidance, to practice. I ask what each letter is and he tells me. Then, I ask him to pick up each object and tell me what their names are. Then, I help him with the sounds if needed.

He began improving only after three days of using this method. For example, he used to say the "M" was a "W" and thought the "S" had a "C" sound. Now it's been about a week and he has almost perfected those letters.

We are now visiting family out of state for the holidays, so I simply closed the plastic container and packed it with his school stuff. We do practice for a few minutes each day. Of course it is not on display at the moment, but it's for the best. Otherwise, we may end up losing it with all of the cousins around. Haha, kids... :)

Stay tuned for some Thanksgiving posts!

I will try to do some fun crafts with Edgarin. Perhaps his cousins will join in too and we'll post their crafts as well if they do. ^_^









No comments:

Post a Comment

A Christmas Surprise

It's that time of the year where we are mixed with thoughts of making memories with loved ones, remembering the birth of Jesus, and the ...