Thursday, May 14, 2020

Communication with baby by simple noise

Did you know communication does not only revolve around spoken language? There's also sign language and more! Did you know you could actually communicate with your baby by sound? Well, of course you do if you ever banged on the wall with your best friend in code knocks. Perhaps once, twice or three times. If you did then you used some sort of code, right? What if I told you it could work with babies too?!?! I'm not an early childhood development expert, but I am definitely a mom. I am a mommy who ACCIDENTALLY just discovered that it really DOES WORK!

When and where?

We came outside today (Yes, we are still outside!) It's quite a lovely day and the birds are singing a calm melody. 

Baby Ruben seemed a little bored after using the walker to get some energy out. I put him in the swing for a little while. After some time I sat down where he could still see me. The swing eventually came to a complete stop He watched some hummingbirds eat from the bird feeder and paid extremely close attention to the dogs yelling back and forth.
 Really dogs? I always wonder what you're talking about!

He looked at me.
I smiled. He smiled right back!
It was ABSOLUTELY precious.

Then it happened. He used his wobbly foot to make a knocking noise on the plastic of the baby swing about seven or eight time He glanced directly at me once again, doing nothing. I, being a silly Mommy at times, decided to return the knocking noise on a nearby box! He let out a HUGE grin and did it again! We did it at random moments back and forth for a minute. 


The Test

I thought to myself, "this baby has been hitting his feet on things countless times. His feet! What if there's a meaning behind it?" 
And there it was!
I hit my foot on the box exactly five times. He returned it five times. 
I GOT MY ANSWER!!! 
He was trying to communicate and he actually did!
I suppose I stared at him in amazement for what seemed like an eternity since he began fussing and knocking his feet a million times on the swing. I got him out and he went straight for the milk!

What if knocking his feet means he wants Mommy's milk??
I guess we will know for sure next time. 

What do YOU think he was trying to say? Let me know in the LDE group!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Christmas Surprise

It's that time of the year where we are mixed with thoughts of making memories with loved ones, remembering the birth of Jesus, and the ...